Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I have been visiting many needy families recently.
Zhen has crowned me with a new title in office - Queen of Visitation.
Haha i was trying to sort out the case notes in the office.
Couldn't remember who's who. Had to disturb A, GW and J.
Two of them've earned their well deserved titles...
GW aka Prince of Visitation and J aka King of Visitation.
Learnt sthin new, shld always try to do visitations with J in future.
He cabs without reserves, without retreats, without regrets...haha.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so. Do not say to your neighbor, "Go, and come back, And tomorrow I will give it," When you have it with you. - Pro 3:27,28

Was reading this verse today. Pondered a bit.
What is the good i can offer as i visit the needy?
Where should i draw the line to help or not to help?
To what degree of discretion i need to exercise?
What power do i hold while assessing these families?

I do not wish to offer handouts all the time.
What i want to offer is hand-ups.
The goal of this is not to help ppl maintain where they are.
The eventual aim is to enable ppl achieve upward mobility.
Let's envision this right from the beginning.
Finances move from accounts of deficit to increment.
Living standards progress from barely sufficient to abundance.
Education shifts ppl out of ignorance to empowerment.
Broken families without hope grow to restored families basking in love.

What an ideal picture. I know. I'd love to see.
Yet thoughts always hit me back to reality.
Well, I am not being pessimistic here.
Passion aside, i cannot deny the limitations.
Limitations in terms of available resources.
Limitations in terms of how much i can do.
Limitations in terms of how much change ppl want.
I still want to change the world and make a difference.
I had been bouncing back and fro btwn idealism and reality.
Took a long while to admit & address the frustrations encountered.
The wanting to help and the help being rejected.
The desire to see change and the change being criticised.
The introducing of new things and the new being resisted.
As a change agent, i am now gaining understanding.
I need to learn to work around limitations.
Maximise within the boundaries.
Expand when you've maximised.
I have more to learn along the way.
I'm glad i'm still picking things up.
Fast enough i hope.

In this new round of assessment, i need sound wisdom & discretion.
There are many whom can be helped but they can pick themselves up.
I have no intention to cripple those who are abled themselves.
But I want to offer good to genuine ones while i have the power to do so.



Upward mobility pls.