(Reflecting while doing some planning for the marriage stuff)
Despite our busy schedules, Xin and I will make the effort to contact each other every day. His morning calls, my morning greetings, his dinnertime calls, my goodnight messages (as much as we can if we are not rushing for work or if we do not doze off…) Haha.
There are weeks where its really challenging for both of us to meet and I started to do things that I never thought I had to do…booking appointments with him and giving him my weekly schedules way in advance so that we can make time with each other.
And when we do meet, we tend to wait for each other to wake up from our short naps.
(Sometimes I wonder if we are a normal couple. LOL.)
No doubt we have had tensions and moments where we disagreed, but I’m very thankful that we have Him and His Word to keep us grounded and to reconcile quickly. I often tell others when personalities clash, we must live out the Christ-like character. Preaching is easy, but to act on what you preach can be really tough. There are just days when I just don’t want to give in, don’t want to submit, don’t want to humble myself, don’t want to love BUT i have to discard the don’t wants and embrace the wills – I will give in, I will submit, I will humble myself, I will love. And i know he does the same. *winks* In the process of every conflict and confrontation, we have also learnt and make the effort to communicate effectively as much as possible, to speak the truth with love, to complement, meet needs and take care of each other more.
I used to think that too much of a personality difference would be relatively destructive and I should avoid this as much as possible; the ideal was to be with someone who ought to be similar to me in temperament, in personality, etc. But I have come to a gradual realization that personality differences can and do complement. (Still, there must be a set of similar core values that a couple must share.) The ability to use the differences to edify and build each other is truly a life-long art to be mastered.
(And i still wonder in amazement from time to time that I am with a guy who is just so different from me and he is still able to make me happy :D)
As I look back this past 1 year, i am glad to know how we have grown as individuals and together as a couple.
And I must say that I appreciate my guy for…
1. Giving me regular morning calls
2. Driving me home even when he is very tired
3. Spending and doting on me with nice meals and gifts
4. Paying for my taxi fares when I’m sick or really dead tired
5. Springing surprises (more to come right? *HINT HINT*)
6. The ever interesting and at times gangster-like conversations
7. His love, his time, effort and sacrifices
Just want to say a BIG THANK YOU :D
I’m really proud of my guy and I look forward to the days ahead with you!
I love my PPB. LOL!