Wednesday, October 1, 2008

And so I read... On Mr J B Jeyaretnam: I have little knowledge of this man, but something caught my eye after that. "Though we hold different political views, we were friends who respected each other. And he was a fighter, a son of Singapore." We don't need yes men all the time... Neither do we need those who blow their own credentials & demand their rights... Just men... With hearts for the community... Willingness to represent the heartlanders... Boldness to fight for what is best for the citizens... My desire... May there be more colourful characters in the local political scene. Those with substance and heart, please. On US Financial Bailout: How logical can a person get? A Congressman argued, " This bill offends my principles, but I'm going to vote for this bill to preserve my principles." I went, "DUH?" ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Many people have asked me what I am working as. My reply, "A social worker." Smiles. Following on, they would ask me what I actually do in my work. My reply, "I help the poor and needy. I aid those who go through tough patches...Financial assessment, conducting programmes, basic counselling, being involved in fundraising and community projects..." Smiles. Then the next question/comment comes... "Oh, so are you paid as a social worker?" My reply, "YES! Of course." OR "Wah, so you're doing it for free? A lot of time hor..." My reply, "NO! Of course not."

My cheeks will then do their declining act. And I usually get irritated to being provoked after the third question.

I don't believe in altruism. I honesty don't. I love people. But it doesn't mean that I am totally selfless all the time. I love people. But it doesn't mean that I do everything for free all the time. I love people. But it doesn't mean that I can get by life without a salary all the time. The public has a tendency to believe in this...

Social workers are angels... Doing good work without drawing any salary.

So shall I declare to you that... We are angels indeed! We only breathe in the heavenly air and drink the dew of life. We make all purchases by trading our white feathers. We turn all people lovingly good with the counseling potions we have.

NAH, how I wish it is true. I don't believe that the work we do... Is only for those who have free time... And can do it for free...

The work involves making positive changes. And in the midst, we do... Advocating. Spearheading. Negotiating... Befriending. Mentoring. Influencing... Fundraising. Networking. Marketing... And more.

Sometimes, I get really upset when people make it sound like its some low class job we're doing. And I would wonder these... Are we any lesser when we're teaching but not as teachers? Are we any lesser when we're fundraising but not as philanthropists? Are we any lesser when we're marketing but not as businessmen? These may not be justifiable comparisions but I would really ponder.

Our work will not generate the millions comparatively to the private limiteds. But our work will need the millions to touch the unlimited public.

Our work cannot offer abundant benefits to other jobs. But our work can benefit those who are in need abundantly.

And I dream... Charities will no longer do substandard work because of lack of resources. Charities will no longer see high turnover rate of workers because of low pay and overloading of work.

I want to live to see these. Argh. Ok, thank you for allowing me to vent out. Sorry if I didn't sound comprehensive in my views... But I was really provoked by the third question/comment today! And to my dear friends, if you ever hear others mention these... "So social workers are actually volunteers?" "So social workers work for free, right?" Pls politely correct them. Thanks! I finally let something off my chest. I can go off to bed in peace now. Hehe good night! "A broken and contrite spirit, You will not despise." I will learn.